Leave a comment
June 22, 2010 by Sara Kreidler
We received a large bunch of kale this week from the CSA. This recipe was a great way to use it up.
Adapted, barely, from Simply Recipes
- 1 pound of kale, chopped (remove and discard center stem)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 pound hot Italian sausage (loose, not in casings)
- 1/3 pound sweet Italian sausage (loose, not in casings)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound shell pasta, cooked al dente
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Red chile flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large cast iron pot, cook kale in chicken stock for about 8 minutes.
- While kale is cooking, heat a pan over medium high and cook both types of sausage together until browned, using a spoon to break the sausage into bite sized pieces. Use a slotted spoon to transfer sausage to a plate. Add onions and garlic to the oil left behind in the pan from the sausage and sauté until soft.
- Add cooked pasta, kale, and sausage to the pan and toss to combine. Transfer to a large serving bowl and top with Parmesan cheese and red chile flakes, salt and pepper.