September 28, 2010 by Sara Kreidler
Adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman
- 8-12 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sweet apple cider
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large cast iron pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and remove and discard the cinnamon stick.
- Using a potato masher, mash the apples with the juices until the desired smoothness/chunkiness ratio is achieved.
- Serve warm or, if storing, cool sauce completely and transfer to airtight container(s) for storage in the refrigerator or freezer. I froze several batches, and they thawed beautifully.