January 12, 2011 by Sara Kreidler
Following a much appreciated early dismissal from work due to snow (!!!) we came home and made this meal, mostly from local ingredients. The 2 grass fed chuck steaks pictured below came from our farmer’s market; we had leftover dry rub from the Christmas prime rib, so we rubbed the steaks and put them under the broiler for 3 minutes on each side. It was very rare, just the way we like it. We also made braised red cabbage, which was sweet and tart.
- 8-10 small potatoes, peeled and sliced very thin
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced very thin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- salt and pepper
- Make one layer of overlapping potato slices on bottom on 9×9 baking dish.
- Sprinkle onions over layer of potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover onion layer with cheese.
- Repeat layers until dish is full.
- Pour cream and milk over top of layers.
- Add top layer of cheese.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake at 400 for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook uncovered for 5 minutes or until the cheese browns around the edges of the pan.