Leave a comment
March 17, 2011 by Sara Kreidler
Adapted, barely, from The Pioneer Woman Cooks.
- 1-¼ pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 egg
- ½ cups bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cups flour
- Canola oil for frying
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1-½ cup fresh pineapple
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ cups sherry vinegar
- ⅓ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cooked white rice
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper. Combine ground beef, onion, egg, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, and crushed red pepper flakes and mix with hands until combined. Scoop meat mixture out by tablespoons and toll into balls. Place meatballs place on a lined sheet lined cookie sheet and transfer to freezer for 15 minutes (freezing the meatballs for a short time will firm them up and make them easier to fry).
- Mix together beef stock, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and cornstarch. Whisk until well combined and the sauce has no lumps of cornstarch.
- Heat canola oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Remove meatballs from freezer and roll each meatball in flour, then fry in two batches until browned on all sides. Remove browned meatballs from the oil and transfer to a large plate.
- Pour off oil from skillet and return skillet to medium high heat. When skillet is hot, add the red pepper chunks and saute for one minute. Add pineapple to skillet and saute for one minute. Pour in sauce, then add meatballs. Simmer and stir for about 5 minutes to thicken the sauce. Add salt and more crushed red pepper flakes to taste.
- Serve over cooked white rice.