June 2, 2011 by Sara Kreidler
Our first CSA box from Kretschmann’s for the 2011 season has arrived! Mr. Kretschmann warned that, because of the crazy wet spring we’ve had, the first few boxes would be uncharacteristically small. He wasn’t joking. Still, not a bad haul.
My pictures are terrible, even though I promised myself I was going to make a point of taking a nice picture every week of the CSA box’s contents. But Toby was out of town, I had a really stressful day at work and when I went to leave work to pick up the kids from school I realized that I am a lunk-head and forgot to get the car seats out of Toby’s car before he left for the airport, so I had to call Kim and ask her to pick up the kids for me and bring them to my house for the night since she had car seats…all of which is to say that by the time I got home, CSA contents in hand, my fingernails thoroughly chewed up and my hair falling out of the lopsided ponytail I had been working all day, artfully arranging the veggies and taking a picture just wasn’t happening. So the photos are of all of the veggies and whatnot in plastic bags, which makes for lousy pictures. There’s always next week.
This week’s box contains (from left to right in the photos):
- A bag of baby portabella mushrooms;
- A loaf of whole wheat bread;
- A lovely smelling bag of rosemary and thyme;
- A big bunch of beautiful basil (I think I have finally recovered from last year’s pestopalooza and can again hold a large bunch of basil without cringing);
- 2 bunches of rhubarb, which is a veggie I have never cooked with before and am eager to play with, and
- A large bag of mesclun greens.
I’m thinking about picking the rhubarb, and maybe grilling some steaks from the farmer’s market and serving with sauteed mushrooms and a nice salad.