June 7, 2011 by Sara Kreidler
The past two nights, Toby has made me awesome cocktails with Hendrick’s gin and some fresh ingredients we had on hand, including local strawberries and cucumbers from the farmer’s market. If you’re not familiar with Hendrick’s gin and the awesome bottle it comes in, you need to fix that, pronto.
The first drink is called the “Toby Loves Sara” This combination of ingredients probably has a different, official drink name that is less personal to me, but after the first sip I declared it to be the Toby Loves Sara and it’s my blog, dammit, so I’ll call it that with impunity.
The Toby Loves Sara
- 2/3 oz. Hendrick’s Gin
- 4 mint leaves
- 2 strawberries
- 2/3 oz. simple syrup
- 2 dashes lemon juice
- 1 oz. orange juice
- 6 ice cubes
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle mint, strawberries and simple syrup.
- Add the remaining ingredients and shake well.
- Fill a pretty glass with ice, strain drink into glass and serve.
The second drink is based upon a recipe for a cucumber and strawberry mojito, but we used up all of the strawberries on The Toby Loves Sara the night before. So Toby nixed the strawberry, and I think the classic Hendrick’s + cucumber taste is perfect without the strawberries. I’ve named this adapted version the Hendrick’s-jito.
- 1 1/2 oz. Hendrick’s gin
- 3 slices cucumber
- 1/2 oz. simple syrup
- 1/2 oz. lime juice
- 6 ice cubes
- 1 splash club soda
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle cucumber and simple syrup.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except club soda) and shake well.
- Fill a rocks glass with ice and strain drink into glass. Add club soda and serve.