June 19, 2011 by Sara Kreidler
We love to pair our slow cooker pulled pork with this vinegar-based Carolina-style coleslaw.
Here’s the slaw, on top of the sandwich (or you can serve it on the side if you prefer). Toby’s mom gave us a julienne peeler which I used to cut the carrots with great results. Prior to owning this nifty gadget, I used either a box grater or a vegetable peeler to prep the carrots for slaw; any of those tools will get the job done.
Adapted from About.com
- 1 large head of green cabbage, cored and finely sliced
- 1 carrot, grated or julienned
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- Mix cabbage and carrot in a large, heat-safe mixing bowl.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium sized pot and bring to a simmer over medium high flame, stirring until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Pour hot vinaigrette over cabbage and carrot mixture and toss well. Taste test and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled.