August 21, 2011 by Sara Kreidler
After a long day of canning (more on that later this week), we made a throw together meal for supper. Toby’s parents kindly gave us a two huge bags of cucumbers, most of which we pickled, but a few of which were too large and mature for pickling. So I threw together an asian cucumber salad for supper. We ate the salad with a beautiful, thick slice of ham from the farmer’s market.
And we boiled 18 ears of corn, about half of which we devoured (man, does Owen love corn on the cob) and the rest Toby cut from the cob and froze.
Back to the cucumber salad. If you’re swimming in cucumbers, this is a really simple way to dress them up.
- 2 cucumbers
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- Crushed red chile flakes, to taste
- Rinse the cucumbers. Cut the ends off of both cucumbers, then cut each cucumber in half lengthwise. Thinly slice the cucumbers and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl with the cucumber slices and toss well to combine. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.