September 2, 2011 by Sara Kreidler
I first made Simply Recipes’ braised red cabbage last year. We received a nice big head of red cabbage from the CSA a few weeks ago and decided to revisit the recipe (it is hard to make this dish look good, but trust me, it tastes great).
Adapted from Simply Recipes
- 2 strips bacon, cut crosswise into small strips
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red cabbage head, core removed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of peeled, cored and chopped tart apples
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the bacon slowly in a large dutch oven over medium low flame until the bacon begins to brown and the bacon fat melts into the pan, but do not cook so long that the bacon becomes crisp.
- Add the sliced onion and cook over medium high flame until the onions are soft. Add the sliced cabbage, chopped apple, cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and sugar and mix well. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce flame to medium low. Cook for about 45 minutes or until the cabbage is soft.
- Remove lid, increase flame to medium high and boil off excess liquid for 5 minutes, stirring often to make sure the food on the bottom of the pot does not burn. Serve hot.