September 20, 2011 by Sara Kreidler
But on weeknights, when time is short and you’re starving, you can get a similar result in a fraction of the time by following this recipe. We made kale this way tonight, along with grilled hanger steak and fried potatoes with stewed tomatoes.
- 1 pound of kale, rinsed and ribs removed
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons rendered bacon fat
- Salt and pepper
- Red chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Place kale and water in a medium sized pot and bring to a boil. Cook for 30 minutes or until kale is cooked through, then drain kale.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat rendered bacon fat over medium high flame. Add kale to the skillet and toss in the bacon fat. Season with salt, pepper and chile flakes. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer kale to a serving dish and drizzle cider vinegar over top. Serve hot.