September 24, 2011 by Sara Kreidler
This time, we served it with roasted root vegetables. It was cold and rainy in Pittsburgh yesterday, so this recipe was perfect – warm and comforting.
Adapted from All Recipes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 quart canned crushed tomatoes with their juices
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- Juice of one lemon
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven with a lid over medium-high heat. Add the short ribs and brown on all sides. Transfer browned short ribs to a plate and set aside.
- Add to the dutch oven all of the remaining ingredients (except the browned short ribs), stir and bring sauce to a simmer. Add the short ribs back to the pan, pushing them down with a large spoon until submerged in the sauce. Bring sauce to a boil.
- Cover pot, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer. Stir occasionally and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 1/2 hours. Cooking the ribs slow and low is key to keeping them moist. You will know the ribs are ready when the meat falls off the bone.
- Remove bay leaves and serve with roasted root vegetables.